When it comes to crazy weather that changes 3 times a day, as it does in LA, I have absolutely no clue how to layer clothes. But when it comes to skincare, I am the master at putting on as many layers as possible. I love to layer products of all different kinds to get my skin glowing and I rarely use 2 products with the same actives, I want all my products to be doing different things, like, why use a toner, serum, and face cream that all have the same actives? Shouldn't you be getting enough out of just one of them? If your skin can handle it, switch it up and give it a little of everything. Here's how to get all those products on your face without feeling weighed down, I've provided some products that I have or am using that work great in these steps.
1. Cleanse - As someone with combination skin, I like bit of a deep clean, then add all the nutrients and oils back in afterwards.
AM Jurlique Clarifying Deep Cleansing Gel $28
PM Bellatora Exfoliating Cleanser $95
2. Toner - I find a lot of people don't use toner, but I love it. It balances the ph of your skin and removes any excess cleanser leaving your skin fresh for products.
AM/PM Erno Laszlo Light Controlling Lotion $55
3. Essence - Applied directly after toner, facial essences add water light actives into the skin that are immediately absorbed. Warm and press into skin.
AM/PM SKII Facial Treatment Essence $99-290
AM/PM Belif Hungarian Water Essence $42
*If you are doing a sheet mask do it here, skip step 4 and maybe step 6 if you feel the serum in the mask was on the heavier side.*
SKII Facial Treatment Mask $135 for 6
Dr Jart Brightening Infusion Hydrogel Mask $7.50
Freeset Donkey Milk Skin Gel Mask Pack $37 for 10
4. Ampoule/Serum #1- Ampoules (as they're called in Korean beauty) are lightweight, gel-like, watery serums that easily absorb in the skin. Warm and press into skin.
AM/PM Cosrx Propolis Light Ampule $23.98
AM/PM Lancome Advanced Genifique Youth Activating Concentrate $78-175
*If you're experiencing breakouts, now's a good time to add a spot treatment*
Murad Acne Spot Treatment $18
5. Eye Serum/Gel - Eye serums and gels absorb the fastest, they're typically used for dark circles, puffiness, and lifting. Press all around orbital bone using a firm pressing (not rubbing) motion to stimulated lymphatic drainage.
AM/PM La Mer Luminous Eye Gel $145
AM/PM Dr. Perricone Acyl-Glutathione Eyelid Serum $120
*Wait 30 second for these step to absorb*
6. Serum #2 - This is going to be your heavier serum, usually your most active one. Heavier serum usually have glycerin or silicones in them to help carry in active ingredients such as peptides. Warm and tap all over the face
AM/PM Clinique Smart Custom-Repair Serum $59.50-$154
PM Sunday Riley Good Genes Treatment $105
7. Eye Cream - This will be your richer eye product, used for hydrating/firming. Take a small amount and warm between 3 fingers, press around the orbital bone.
AM/PM AmorePacific Future Response Dual Eye Cream $150
AM/PM Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm $65
*Wait 30 Seconds for those products to absorb*
8. Facial Oil - Facial oils can be used so many ways, it really depends on what you're using it for. You can use before, after, or mixed in with your cream. Use before if it's a lighter weight oil after if it's thicker. Ether can be mixed with a cream. Oils can penetrate creams, that's why they can be used after. To apply all over, warm in the palms of your hands and press all over the face.
AM/PM African Botanics Neroli Infused Marula Oil $85
PM Sunday Riley Luna Oil $105
AM/PM Odacité Wild Carrot Serum Concentrate $55 (great for mixing with your moisturizer)
*Wait 60 seconds (I usually brush my teeth, put on the coffee, turn on the iron here, throw on my body cream, or put some product in my weave here)*
9. Cream or Lotion - Choose a texture for your skin type, if you're oily, you obviously don't want a heavy texture over all these layers. Drier skin types may like a richer cream to lock in moisture. Warm in hands and sweep outwards.
Dry Skin - Caudalie Premier Cru La Crème Riche $158
Normal Skin - Natura Bisse Essential Shock Intense Retinol Fluid $105 (Currently trying this one out, its suppose to be great for men, can be used around the eyes, and can be used as a serum or a day/night lotion)
Oily or Acne Prone Skin - Clarins Truly Matte Hydra-Matte Lotion $45
Sensitive Skin (Redness/Irritation) - First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream $6.50-$30
*Wait 60 seconds for the moisturizer to absorb, throw your clothes on, chug the rest of your coffee, reply to some emails...*
10. AM - Sunscreen is a must. Mineral sunscreens (zinc and titanium) work by reflecting UV rays away from the sun and last the longest, chemical sunscreens absorb UV preventing it from hitting the skin. Mineral sunscreens sometimes make my skin itch, other have the same problem with Chemical. Find a texture you like, I use a creamy one in the winter, and water light in the summer. Always use SPF 30 (anything more than that doesn't really do much). Warm in hands and sweep all over the face, be sure to focus on high points, forehead, nose, and cheeks they all get the most sun (or your left temple you're in the car as much as I am...).
Thicker - Jurlique Sun Specialist SPF40 High Protection Cream $38
Thinner - TonyMoly My Sunny Watery Sun Gel SPF30 PA++ $15.99
*Now you can apply your primer, foundation, and the rest of your makeup, or just have bare glowing skin*
10. PM - Retinoids - These are one of the only truly proven anti aging ingredients. A retinoid is different from what we can but from a store, these need to be prescribed by a dr. You can use them alone, but I like using them as my last step to reduce sensitivity as they can be pretty aggressive. The closest I've found without a prescription is the A313 Vitamin A Cream that you can purchase OTC in France or from the link below.
A313 Vitamin A Cream $33.75
10. PM Option 2 - Sleep Masks are so much fun to use! I can cater to my skins current needs by having a variety of sleep masks to choose from. These mostly help by adding extra moisture into the skin, especially helpful during dry seasons or when you have heating or a/c on at night drying your skin. Warm and press into skin as a final step. Wait about 10-15 minutes before putting your face on the pillow.
Dr Jart Water-Max Sleeping Mask $48
AmorePacific Moisture Bound Sleeping Recovery Mask $60
11. Lip Treatment - Lip balms are my crack, they always have been, I've been using them longer than I've been using eye cream (15 years old). Always leave the house with some good balm in your pocket, never know when you'll need to 😘. Apply liberally as needed.
Hourglass No28 Lip Treatment Oil $42
Nuxe Ultra-Nourishing Lip Balm $18.50
See 10 step skincare really isn't that difficult (even if you add in 2 or 3 more steps). When in doubt, just remember thinnest to thickest. Have you had success with this? Are you doing more than 10 steps? I'd love to know!